CHOOSE ONE THESE HEADLINES AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS BELOW, THEN DELETE THIS BLOCK
HL1: How to come up with amazing social media content
HL2: The best social media content for small businesses
HL3: How to come up with social media content for your business
HL4: Crush creative block with these 24 social media content ideas
If you type ‘What to post on social media’ into the Google search bar you’ll be rewarded with more than 6,000,000,000 results. So we know one thing for sure, there’s no shortage of ideas for social media content out there!
But who has time to wade through all that? You just want a straight answer to the question ‘What should I post on my business social media pages?’. Right?
The good news is I’ve been working in social media for X years, and have a better idea than most of what works. And today I’m going to share it with you.
But, before we dive in, let me tell you my secret sauce social media content tips…
- Test and adapt. Social media content ideas change all the time. Don’t be afraid to try new things
- Content that provokes an emotional reaction wins EVERY time. When you’re next scrolling through your own feeds think about what motivated you to stop, read, or comment
- What works for others might not work for you. That’s FINE, don’t dwell
- Keep a list of accounts that inspire you. Make lists on Twitter, collections on Instagram and add ‘Pages To Watch’ to your Facebook insights
- Avoid making every post about you. Think about how you can add value for your reader
For more insider tips Book a Power Hour
Now check out these surefire engagement-grabbers. Pick one from each section to really mix your social media content up.
Bread and butter posts:
These foundation posts will keep followers up to date with your business:
- A link to your latest blog post. Use it to open a discussion
- Tips and tricks. Share a business hack that could help your followers
- Share exclusive discounts and offers
- Behind the scenes. Post pictures of you, your team, your workspace, the office dog
Eek I forgot to plan ahead posts!
Don’t panic, it happens to the best of us. These quick-fix ideas can be turned around in no time:
- Share an article or image from another account. If you can’t find something you like, reshare (and give an update on) a post that performed well for you in the past
- Link to your email sign-up or a freebie
- Create a fun poll
- Post a review, testimonial or image of a happy customer – thank and tag the customer
Let’s have some fun posts:
Use your platforms to show off your sparkling personality:
- Share an ‘oops’ moment
- Post a zoomed-in image and ask followers to guess what it is
- Two truths and a lie… ask your fans to guess which of the three statements about you or your business isn’t true. Invite them to share theirs
- Ask followers to post what they’re doing then add the phrase… like a boss!
Showcase your skills and knowledge posts:
Keep your readers’ interests at the heart of these messages:
- Reveal new products and services
- Achievements and milestones. Top tip: Never start a post with ‘We are proud to announce…’ No-one cares!
- Post a helpful answer to a frequently asked question
- Bust an annoying myth about your industry
Getting to know you posts:
Storytelling posts are social media gold right now. Use them to give your followers a better understanding of your motivation and values:
- Tell people how you got to where you are today
- Post about how you overcame a challenge in your life or business
- Let your audience know why you do what you do
- Share your ‘a-ha’ moment
Ask a question posts:
Invite your followers to join in:
- Ask me anything…
- Fill in the blank ______
- Ask for feedback on a new product or a challenge you’re facing
- Post an image and ask followers to write a caption – for double points offer a prize to the best entry
And FINALLY, don’t forget to add a compelling call to action into all your social media content. Try some of these:
- Double tap if you agree
- Like if you needed this reminder today
- DM me for more info
- DM me for XYZ
- What would you do?
- Is this helpful? Share your tips
- Link in the bio / comments
- So, tell me XYZ…
Download my free content calendar template to plot out your posts for the month ahead.